VIDEOS (HISTORY) OF PRESIDENT BENJAMIN MKAPA
Benjamin William Mkapa (12 November 1938 – 24 July 2020) was a Tanzanian politician who served as the third President of Tanzania. He was in office for one decade from 1995 to 2005. He was also Chairman of the Revolutionary State Political Party (Chama Cha Mapinduzi, CCM). Mkapa was born in Ndanda, near Masasi in southern Tanganyika.
- Between 1945 and 1951 he attended primary school at Lupaso and Ndanda Schools where he attained a Standard Eight Cerificate.
- He was at Kigonsera Seminary between 1952 and 1953, before moving to Ndanda Secondary School for his Ordinary Level Secondary Education.
- Mkapa, thereafter, moved to Saint Francis College (now Pugu Secondary School) for Advanced Level in Secondary Education where he was awarded with a Cambridge School Certificate.
- From 1959 to 1962 he was at Makerere University College in Uganda and obtained Preliminary Arts (1959) and Bachelor of Arts Degree (Hons) in English (1962).
- He also attended Columbia University in 1963 and was awarded a master's degree in international affairs.
- APRIL 1962: Appointed Adminstrative officer Dodoma.
- APRIL 1962: District officer.
- AUGUST 1962: Foreign Service Officer.
- MAY 1966: Managing Editor, The Nationalist Uhuru.
- APRIL 1972: Managing Editor, The Daily News.
- JULY 1974: Press Secretary to the President.
- JULY 1976: Founding Editor, Tanzania News Agency (SHIHATA).
- OCTOBER 1976: High Commissioner to Nigeria.
- FEBRUARY 1977: Minister for Foreign Affairs.
- NOVEMBER 1980: Minister for Information and Culture.
- APRIL 1982: High Commissioner to Canada.
- FEBRUARY 1983: Ambassador to the USA.
- APRIL 1984: Minister for Foreign Affairs.
- 1990: Minister for Information and Broadcasting.
- MAY 1992: Minister for Science, Technology and Higher Education.
- NOVEMBER 1995: Elected President of the United Republic of Tanzania.
Mkapa died on 24 July 2020 at a hospital in Dar es Salaam where he was receiving treatment. He was 81 years old.
VIDEOS - History Benjamin William Mkapa