VIDEOS - UNION OF TANGANYIKA AND ZANZIBAR
Tanganyika and Zanzibar united in 26th April, 1964. This led to the formation of The United Republic of Tanzania. Julius Kambarage Nyerere became the first President of the United Republic of Tanzania and Sheikh Abeid Karume became the First Vice President of the United Republic of Tanzania and the President of Zanzibar and Chairman of the Revolutionary Council. The late Rashidi Mfaume Kawawa became the second Vice President of Tanzania and leader of Government business in the National Assembly.
The unification of Tanganyika and Zanzibar in April 1964 was the first political union between independent countries ever to take place on the African continent in the post-colonial era. And it continues to be a subject of interest among many people more than 40 years after its consummation.
The Reasons of the Union Between Tanganyika and Zanzibar
- People of Tanganyika and Zanzibar experience similar culture and historical experience.
- They had similar culture aspects such as Kiswahili language, dancing and building styles.
- They were involved in similar economic activities, For example trade before and after colonialism.
- Both African states suffered and experienced similar problems of colonial domination.
- Security and defense to protect these two countries from being invaded by external enemies. The nature and location these two countries could create conducive environmental for enemies to destruct peace and security.
- To consolidate cooperation and integration of people who lives in these two countries.
- To avoid expansion of capitalism into Zanzibar. This is because capitalism was a threat to these two socialist countries, and the two were forced to join.
Videos of Union between Tanganyika and Zanzibar