We have two types of notes for you
Notes 1 and Notes 2
The Meaning of Democracy
- Democracy is a political system, or a system of decision-making within an institution or organization or a country, in which all members have an equal share of power.
- Democracy is system of Government by the people and for the people.
- Democracy refers to a system of Government in which all people can choose their reader and hold the accountable for their policies and conduct in office.
- Democracy is a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives.
- Democracy is a system of government that bases its legitimacy on the participation of the people.
- Democracy is a system of in which every in the country can to its government
Origin of Democracy
The history of democracy or empowering people by giving them a say in their political entities in Europe, it traces back from its origins in ancient Greek philosophers like Plato. From 5th century BC, Athenian democracy gave citizens equal rights to participate in decision making and to hold public office, it was based on the ideal of equality among citizens.
Historically, the rise of democracy in Europe is connected with the development of capitalism which started in Great Britain as early as from 15th century, indeed it has been argued that modern democratic ideas grew initially in order to facilitate the growth of capitalism.
The key notion of individual invested with rights to his body and property emerged at this time, replacing the idea of self as an extension of the community. The free individual as opposed to the serf bound to the landlord’s land was as necessary for capitalism, to create the mobile labour force required for capitalist industrialization.
Over the next two centuries democratic revolutions were to sweep the countries of Europe i.e. England, France, and the British colony of America with the heady slogans of Liberty, Equality and Fraternity, challenging the entrenched power of the church and the feudal lords who believed in divine power.
|Democracy in ancient Greek|
Democracy in England
Click Here to get a full view of the notes seen below: