comprehension and summary while reading a class reader (books) its chapters,
the following activities should be done.
1. Understanding the writing and
pictures on the front cover, usually they summarize or give a piece of
information of what is in the class reader (book)
2. Title of the class reader
- A name or topic which is
discussed in the chapters
3. Author: A person writes a book
must be memorized.
4. Main or chief character(s) he/
she is the main actor
5. Minor character persons or
animals in the story
6. Setting (venue –A particular
place in which the story take place Example, Dar es salaam, Nairobi, Kampala
7. Difficult words should be
selected and their meaning understood either by using a dictionary (decretive
memory) or according how they are used in the book.
8. To summarize each chapter in
one or two sentences and finally the whole book into one to five sentences.
9. The lesson one can learn from
10. The importance or
significance or relevant of the book in society
Reading and Interpreting Literary Works
Definition of Terms
1. Author - A person who write a
book or storing
2. Plot - The main sequence of
events in a play, novel
3. Theme - Subject of a taller,
piece of writing
4. Chapter - main division of a
5. Character - Particular nature
6. Setting - way of place in
which something is setting
7. Summary - A brief statement of
the main point
8. Comprehension- The ability to
9. Publisher - A company or
person that Publisher, book, News, Paper, Journal
a)Who is the author?
The author is Richard S. Mabala
b)List of what you see in front
1. Hawa the bus driver
2. The bus
3. Ubungo plaza (the weather
4. 114 (the number route of the
5. UDA (the name of a car)
6. Isuzu (the name of the company
of the car)
7. T 140 ADS (the plate number of
8. Coconut tree
9. Route of the bus K/Koo
c)Mention the name of the publish.
The publisher is Ben and company
d)Who is the main character of the whole
Hawa is the main character of the
book because she is the one who the whole story is taking about her being a bus
e)Names of the character
(i) Selemani (ii) Hawa (iii) Mzee
Athumani (iv) Saada (v) Hassani
HAWA THE BUS DRIVER
HAWA’S DESCRIPTION - Famous in Dar es salaam
- Very strong woman, tall, tough
- Weight 82kgs
- Bus driver
- The lioness
- Husband of Hawa
- Worker at Urafiki Texttile Mill
- A medicine operator
- Tall, strong
- Smilling, cool
- Hawa lives in Manzese, suburb
of Dar es Salaam.
- Two children Hassan and Sauda
- Primary school teacher George
- A nurse Chausiku, best friend
HAWA AND THE DRUNKED
- Hawa focus trouble from a
- The conductor, Meshack
co-operates with passengers to help Hawa comfort the drunkard
- The drunkard is taken to police
HAWA AND THE THIEVES
- During the night shift, A man
with a pistol pointed at Hawa
- Hawa hijacked and ordered to
drive to Mbezi
- Made attack with a passenger
who was in a blue overall
- Hawa stopped the bus abruptly
- The thief was overcome by
grabbing the pistol
- The passengers helped
- The thief was taken to the police
- Hawa becomes the Heroine with
mind that arms are like baobab trees.
Accidents are common in Dar es
salaam due to drivers negligence, driving to fast disobey traffic lights,
ignore other cars
Changu ni changu chota chako
Bus coach hit a primary school
Hawa takes troubles to take him
Passengers are angry as well as
police officers her hart is as sweet as ripe mango
SELEMAN IS JEALOUS
- Seleman is jealous because his
wife is more famous, Hawa the great
- Some of Selemani’s friends
advised him that it is wrong for a wife to be famous and bad to drive a bus
- Selemani orders his wife a stop
driving and stay at home.
- Unwilling Hawa decides to
- Before submitting a resignation
letter her fellow drivers advice her not to do so until they take with her
- After a long discussion
selemani changes his mind and allow Hawa to drive after seeking his opinion to.
- Hawa and Seleman, continued to
live happy together.
Lesson or Significance or Importance
Generally, Hawa the bus driver is
still relevant in society:
- Heroine drivers
- Role of women to prepare
breakfast/ meal for the family
- Mockery against women who
exceed in society above men has no place anymore.
- Hijackers of business and
- Accidents in urban areas/
cities and highways
- Healous of husband who do not
like to hear their wife.
Definition: is an art which uses
imaginative language in a pattern of lines and sounds to express deep thought,
feeling or human experience. However there are different definitions of the
term poetry depending on the author, we can generally define poetry as the art
of composing or writing poems.
Note: poems are meant for singing
Structure of Poetry
1. What is a poem?
It is a piece of writing arranged
in patterns of lines and sounds.
2. What is poet?
It is an artist of writer who
3. What is stanza?
It is a group of lines divisions
in a poem
4. What is a verse?
It is a single line in a poem
5. What is simile?
It is a way of comparing things
using words like……………as…………or like……………………….
6. What is metaphor?
It is a way of comparing things
without words of comparison
7. What is imaginary?
It is an art of drawing word
picture by comparing the reality of what is talked about to different but
relevant aspect of reality.
8. What is rhyme?
Words with some sound at the end
of the verse e.g. fly, tie, pie.
9. What is alliteration?
Words with some sound at the
beginning of words in verse reinforce the meaning.
Example: pixpox ,pax pox etc.
10. What is reiteration?
It is repetition of a word, a
verse or even a stanza for a particular effect
e.g. You are dead and dead and
1. Content –What the poem is
about or what to describes
2. Themes/ Message –Lessons we
learn from the poem or novels message e.g. ignorance,
3. Form –how the poem is arranged
(stanza and verses)
4. Mood - attitude of the poet
e.g. happiness, anger, seriousness,
5. Symbolism –using a person or
object /animals as if they are people
EAT MORE GRASS (Joe Corrie)
“Eat more grass” the slogan says
more fish, more beef, more bread but I’m on unemployment-pay my third year now
Read the following poem very fast:
Katai is a Masai
Katai can tie and untie a tie
If katai can tie and untie a tie
Why can’t I tie a tie?
Like katai, cantie
And untie a tie?
1. Which tribe is