Join Our Groups
We have the following:
- Notes and Videos
- Exercises with Answers
The Definitions of interjection
- An interjection is a short word or phrase that shows emotion.
- An interjection is a word or expression which you use to express a strong feeling such as surprise, pain, or horror.
- An interjection is a spoken word, phrase, or sound that expresses sudden or strong feeling.
- An interjection is a word or phrase used in a short exclamation.
- An interjection is a word or expression that occurs as an utterance on its own and expresses a spontaneous feeling or reaction.
- An interjection is an abrupt remark, especially as an aside or interruption.
- An interjection is a word or phrase that expresses something in a sudden or exclamatory way, especially an emotion. Yikes, uh-oh, ugh, oh boy, and ouch are common examples of interjections.
- An interjection is a word, phrase, or sentence that expresses emotion, meaning, or feeling.
- An interjection, also known as an ejaculation or an exclamation, is a word, phrase, or sound used to convey an emotion such as surprise, excitement, happiness, or anger.
Hi! That's an interjection
Interjection is a big name for a little word. Interjections are short exclamations like Oh!, Um or Ah! They have no real grammatical value but we use them quite often, usually more in speaking than in writing.
When interjections are inserted into a sentence, they have no grammatical connection to the sentence.
An interjection is sometimes followed by an exclamation mark (!) when written.
Here is a list of interjections with implied meanings and example sentences.
What is an Interjection?
An interjection is one of the 9 parts of speech.
Interjection often stands alone, unconnected to a sentence.
Typical interjections are:
- Ah! Er. Hey. Ouch! Umm.
- My God! Bloody hell!
And here are some interjections in context:
- Hey! Don't be so lazy!
- Well, let's think about it.
- Ouch! That hurts!
- Lima is the capital of...er...Peru.
Interjections are not normally used in formal writing, but they are common in speech (and therefore informal and fiction writing), where they show emotions such as anger, surprise and interest as well as convey hesitation.
Hey! Have you heard of interjections? An interjection is a part of speech that demonstrates the emotion or feeling of the author or gets the audience's attention (such as "Hey!"). These words or phrases can stand alone, or they can appear before or after a sentence. When you want to make a strong point, you can place an exclamation point after your interjection. Neat!
Interjections: Showing the Author's Emotion
Interjections serve a number of purposes in a sentence. Examples of interjections and their definitions include:
- ahem - The sound of someone clearing their throat in an attempt to get your attention
- aah - Used as a call for help or when someone is scared
- boo - Used to scare someone or to voice disapproval
- eh - Used when you didn't hear or understand what someone said
- eww - Conveys dislike or disgust
- hmm - Can mean you're thinking or hesitating
- jeez - Could indicate you can't believe something or you're exasperated
- ooh-la-la - A slightly comical way to refer to something as fancy or special
- oops - An exclamation people use when they do something by accident
- phew - Expressing relief or gladness something is over
- whoa - Can show surprise or amazement
- yahoo - Expresses joy or happiness
- yoo-hoo - An expression used to get someone's attention
- zing - Usually used comically to emphasize a clever statement or comeback
Interjections in a Sentence
Here are some more interjections, this time used in the context of an accompanying sentence:
- Ahh, that feels wonderful.
- Alas! I'm lost in the wilderness.
- Bless you! I couldn't have done it without you.
- It's time for me to go. Cheerio!
- Congrats! You finally got your master's degree.
- Crikey! Do you ever think before you speak?
- Gesundheit! Are you starting to get a cold?
- Good grief! Why are you wearing shorts in the winter?
- Grrr. I'm going to get back at him for that.
- Humph. He probably cheated to make such good grades.
- Oh dear! I don't know what to do about this mess.
- Shoot! I forgot my brother's birthday.
- Well, duh! That was a stupid thing to do!
- Yowza! That is a gorgeous gown.
Watch the following Videos:
EXERCISES with ANSWERS